G-N Logooffice 704.544.9907
office 704.400.1717
email us:

GTL Technical Breakthrough

What's so different about this gas-to-liquid process?  Haven't people been converting gas to liquid fuel for 90 years or more?

Yes, the industry standard is the Fischer-Tropsch (FT) process. FT has inherent design limitations, which restrict use to only large-volume processing facilities. Further, the high energy requirement of the FT GTL process results in approximately 40% of the natural gas is used at the plants burned to run the reaction itself, leaving only 60% to be converted to liquid.  

The Havelide design for processing natural gas to liquid offers a number of advantages over FT.  For example, the  Havelide process:

  • Avoids need to produce Syngas  

  • Consumes less energy for operations – ~15% of energy for equal volume 

  • Generates no CO2 emissions 

  • Generates high-quality H2, valuable feedstock for a broad range of products

  • Requires smaller footprint -- reactor volume ~1/50 (2%) for same output 

Diagram 

Smaller Footprint

One of several breakthroughs with this design is the smaller footprint.  For the same volume of gas converted to liquid, the size of the facility is only about 2% of a plant using the Fischer-Tropsch design. 

Imagine living in a house with say 3,500'2.  Now, imagine moving into a house with less than 100'2 and accomplishing the same thing.  One of several breakthroughs with this design is the smaller footprint.  For the same volume of gas converted to liquid, the size of the facility is only about 2% of a plant size using the Fischer-Tropsch design. 

The "plant" is contained in a 40' shipping container and can be moved from location to location as needs change.  The "plant" is also scalable. 

 

Shipping Container

Facility Footprint